Find resources to download and share
As we increasingly connect our lives to the Internet with new devices and apps, understanding how to control our privacy has become a greater concern. View the privacy tips below that are relevant to you. All pages can also be downloaded as PDF files.
To begin taking a proactive approach to your online privacy and security, follow these steps from STOP. THINK. CONNECT., the national cybersecurity awareness campaign.
- Secure your devices. Keep your devices from prying eyes. Set passcodes or pass phrases (long passwords) to be sure only you can access your smartphone, tablet or PC.
- Secure your accounts. Passwords are no longer the only protection from would-be hackers. Enable two-factor authentication to add another layer of security.
- Make passwords long, strong and unique. Passwords should be different for each account, have as many characters as allowed and include numbers, symbols and letters, capital and lowercase.
- Think before you app. Before downloading a mobile app, understand what information (your location, access to social networks, etc.) the app accesses to function.
To view more tips and advice to protect your personal information, visit STOPTHINKCONNECT.org.
- Back it up. Store digital copies of your valuable work, music, photos and other information on an external hard drive or online cloud.