Creating A Culture of Awareness
The best security technology in the world cannot help you unless employees understand their roles and responsibilities in safeguarding sensitive data and protecting company resources. This will involve putting practices and policies in place that promote security and training employees to be able to identify and avoid risks.
Training Your EmployeesKey Question:
What cyber security policies, awareness efforts and training can help my company effectively manage cyber risk?
Training employees is a critical element of security. They need to understand the value of protecting customer and colleague information and their role in keeping it safe. They also need a basic grounding in other risks and how to make good judgments when online with their computers. Most importantly, employees need to know the policies and practices you expect them to follow in the workplace regarding Internet safety.
Talk to Your Employees About:
- Keeping a clean machine: Your company should have clear rules for what employees can install and keep on their work computers. Make sure they understand and abide by these rules. Unknown outside programs can open security vulnerabilities in your network.
- Following good password practices: Making passwords long and strong, with a mix of uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers and symbols, along with changing them routinely and keeping them private are the easiest and most effective steps your employees can take to protect your data.
- When in doubt, throw it out: Employees should know not to open suspicious links in email, tweets, posts, online ads, messages or attachments – even if they know the source. Employees should also be instructed about your company's spam filters and how to use them to prevent unwanted, harmful email.
- Backing up their work: Whether you set your employees' computers to backup automatically or ask that they do it themselves, employees should be instructed on their role in protecting their work.
- Staying watchful and speaking up: Your employees should be encouraged to keep an eye out and say something if they notice strange happenings on their computer.
Advice for Travelling Abroad with Electronics
National Counterintelligence Executive. Traveling Overseas with Mobile Phones, Laptops, PDAs, and Other Electronic Devices.
For More Information